Wednesday, August 3, 2016

First Striper on the fly

As I usually do when I am traveling on the road, before I leave I check to see whether or not I should bring my fly rod.  This week, I am up in Portland, Maine, and the Internet said they were catching Rockfish/ Striped Bass/ Greenhead/ Squid Head/ or whatever else people have named this hard fighting fish.  After seeing that the fish were biting, I next checked to see what the local fishing regulations were, and, for Maine, saltwater fishing only requires a $1.00 angler registration with the Maine fisheries department, so I happily packed my 8 weight.

One thing I highly recommend if you travel with your fishing gear, is to find a local tackle shop, and patron their store.  This is a great way to pick up some tips, and to learn if there are any local restrictions/precautions that should be taken.  If you do visit a local shop, be sure to support them by picking up some local flies or gear.  For this trip, I visited the nice folks at The Tackle Shop (http://www.thetackleshop.net/).  They were awesome, and gave me great advice on when and where to go, as well as what to use.  If you find yourself in Portland, Maine, I highly recommend you pay them a visit.

Following their advice, I found myself at Back Cove this morning, looking at a salt flat during full low tide.  After tying on a CK Baitfish and sinking leader, I walked along the shore to begin my search.

CK Baitfish designed by the legendary Chuck Kraft
 The CK Baitfish is an amazing fly designed to mimic the darting, panicked actions of a fleeing minnow.  Walking along the shore, I checked for signs of baitfish, and variations in shoreline structure.  Sure enough, at a section where the tidal flats drained into the main channel of the bay, tons of small minnows were schooled up along the shore.  A quick couple of casts, and my flyline slammed tight with my first Striped Bass on the fly.

Hello Beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment